The CAPE-OPEN 2022 Annual Meeting gave many, among the CAPE community of end-users and developers, the opportunity to share knowledge and experience on CAPE-OPEN. The conference was organized in an hybrid mode, on-site at Linde Engineering in Pullach, Germany and remotely through a conference call. CO-LaN thanks Linde for their hospitality.
Participants were fortunate to hear about end-user feedback from Linde Engineering, Sunfire GmbH, IFP Energies Nouvelles and Universidad Politécnica de Madrid. All reported optimization of their workflow through CAPE-OPEN, with large time gains while ensuring better consistency in models and tools used.
The reports on technical progress achieved at CO-LaN throughout the last 12 months showed that the developments of COBIA, the specific CAPE-OPEN middleware, of the CO-LaN Test Suite, and of the CAPE-OPEN Certification process are on track.
The meeting gave also the occasion to discover a new CAPE-OPEN component, ProTreat CAPE-OPEN Property Package from Optimized Gas Treating, Inc.. This new component adds to the already large offer of applications relying on CAPE-OPEN technology for interoperability.
Last but not least, the meeting gave the opportunity to look into future implementations and usages of CAPE-OPEN with Hafnium Labs, Molecular Quantum Solutions, Delft University of Technology, and discussions on CAPE-OPEN 2.0.
The 2022 Annual General Meeting (AGM) of CO-LaN was an integral part of the event.
CAPE-OPEN 2022 Annual Meeting welcomed participants from Air Liquide, AmsterCHEM, AVEVA, BASF SE, BP, Bryan Research & Engineering LLC, Céondo GmbH, ENEA (Agenzia nazionale per le nuove tecnologie, l’energia e lo sviluppo economico sostenibile), Evonik, Federal University of São Paulo – UNIFESP, FEUP – Faculdade de Engenharia de Universidade do Porto, Inrigo AS, Instituto Tecnológico de Aguascalientes, Fives Cryo, Hafnium Labs, KBC, IFP Energies Nouvelles, Linde Engineering, M R Woodman Consulting Ltd, Molecular Quantum Solutions, Mythri Metallizing Pvt Ltd, Pace CCS Ltd, Politecnico di Milano, ProSim SA, Shell, SINTEF, Sunfire GmbH, Tokyo Institute of Technology, TU Delft, Universität Kassel, Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, University of Cape Town, University of Oslo, Upstream Development and Engineering Inc., US Environmental Protection Agency.
September 21, 2022
- 09:10 – 09:35. Dr Michael HLAVINKA, Technical Director at Bryan Research & Engineering, LLC, presents the activity report of the Methods & Tools Special Interest Group of CO-LaN.
- 09:35 – 10:05. Dr Jasper van BATEN (amsterCHEM) presents the COBIA Threading Models proposed by the Methods & Tools Special Interest Group and more widely how threading works and should be taken care of.
- 10:05 – 10:30. Dr Mark JONES (Molecular Quantum Solutions) describes current efforts to develop a CAPE-OPEN compliant REST-API using COBIA.
- 10:50 – 11:15. Dr Jasper van BATEN (amsterCHEM) presents the activity report of the Thermo Special Interest Group of CO-LaN.
- 11:15 – 11:30. Professor Ross TAYLOR (ChemSep) explains how the export of custom thermodynamic properties works and is used between ChemSep Unit Operation and amsterCHEM’s process simulator COFE.
- 11:30 – 11:55. Dr Bjørn MARIBO-MOGENSEN (Hafnium Labs) reports on new developments and use of Q-Props.
- 11:55 – 12:15. Stefan GEWALD (Linde Engineering) explains how using CAPE-OPEN between HTRI’s XChanger Suite and Linde’s General Multiphase Property System optimizes the workflow within projects.
- 13:15 – 14:15. Dr Richard BAUR (Shell) presides the Annual General Meeting of CO-LaN Members and delivers the activity report of CO-LaN since the previous Annual General Meeting and the financial report for 2021.
- 14:30 – 14:45. Dr Malcolm WOODMAN presents the activity report of the Interoperability Special Interest Group of CO-LaN.
- 14:45 – 15:30. Dr Malcolm WOODMAN (MR Woodman Consulting Ltd) reports on CO-LaN Test Suite development, demonstrates the current version and explains where the certification process stands.
- 15:30 – 16:15. Dr Malcolm WOODMAN manages a workshop to discuss both what has been done so far for the CO-LaN Test Suite and certification, and how CO-LaN moves forward on PME testing: an opportunity for all to criticise, provide feedback and explain what they need (especially for PME testing).
- 16:15 – 16:40: Anna-Maria FISCHER (Linde Engineering) reports on workflow improvements applying CAPE-OPEN amine wash units in process design within UniSim Design.
September 22, 2022
- 09:00 – 09:20. Dr Carlos Arnaiz del Pozo (Universidad Politécnica de Madrid) explains how using CAPE-OPEN helped significantly in his research on Process synthesis of advanced NH3 and MeOH plants.
- 09:20 – 09:35. Sebastian Liebschner (Sunfire GmbH) describes the use of CAPE-OPEN to share a unit operation model within various simulation platforms.
- 09:35 – 09:50. Simon WEILAND (Optimized Gas Treating, Inc.) announces and demonstrates the ProTreat CAPE-OPEN Property Package.
- 10:10 – 10:35. Professor Artur Schweidtmann (TU Delft / Process Intelligence Research) explains how learning from flowsheets can be systematically developed.
- 10:35 – 11:35: Dr Michel PONS (CO-LaN CTO) explained steps taken for the future of CAPE-OPEN and manages a discussion among participants on the topic.
- 11:35 – 12:00. Martin GAINVILLE (IFPEN) descibes how he mixed applications implementing CAPE-OPEN technology to prototype a monitoring tool for an underground gas storage site.