CO-LaN Management Board invited everyone with an interest in CAPE-OPEN to join the community of end-users and developers on October 27 and October 28, 2021 for the CAPE-OPEN 2021 Annual Meeting. The format was entirely virtual, much like the one used for the CAPE-OPEN 2020 Annual Meeting.
Participants learned about the most recent implementations of CAPE-OPEN, about the benefits CAPE-OPEN brings and the technical progress CO-LaN has achieved over the past year. The event was open to all, not just to organizations or individuals who are members of the CAPE-OPEN Laboratories Network (CO-LaN). The 2021 Annual General Meeting (AGM) of CO-LaN was an integral part of the event.
October 27, 2021
- 13:45 – 14:00. Welcome address by Dr Richard BAUR (Shell) and Dr Michel PONS (Chief Technology Officer).
- 14:00 – 14:20. Dr Olaf Trygve BERGLIHN, Senior Scientist at SINTEF Industry, presents where SINTEF would like to go using CAPE-OPEN and COBIA.
- 14:20 – 14:50. Dr Jasper van BATEN (AmsterCHEM) presents the Python CAPE-OPEN Unit Operation.
- 14:50 – 15:20. Martin GAINVILLE, from IFP Energies Nouvelles (IFPEN), presents on the use of Python based CAPE-OPEN tools at IFPEN.
- 15:20 – 15:40. Andrea GALEAZZI, from the Sustainable Process Engineering Research team at Politecnico di Milano, presents on the key concepts and usages of CAPE-OPEN for their intended work, including use of COBIA.
- 15:40 – 16:00. Coffee break (virtual).
- 16:00 – 16:30. Vidushi CHITRANSHI/Prof. MOËLLER (University of Cape Town) discuss a study of Fischer-Tropsch reactor cooling using CAPE-OPEN tools and ANSYS.
- 16:30 – 17:00. Dr Robbie VENDERBOSCH (Biomass Technology Group BV) presents on the use of COCO flowsheeting for modelling the first commercial fast pyrolysis process.
- 17:00 – 17:15. Coffee break (virtual).
- 17:15 – 17:45. Dr Malcolm WOODMAN presents on the CO-LaN certification process.
- 17:45 – 18:30. Dr Malcolm WOODMAN, as contractor for CO-LaN, presents and demonstrates the initial prototype of the self-testing suite.
October 28, 2021
- 13:50 – 14:00. Dr David CAMERON, from University of Oslo, describes their intended work with CAPE-OPEN.
- 14:00 – 15:00. Dr Richard BAUR, from Shell Global Solutions International, presides the 2021 Annual General Meeting of Members and delivers the annual reports of CO-LaN.
- 15:00 – 15:20. Dr Malcolm WOODMAN, presents the progress report of the Interoperability Special Interest Group.
- 15:20 – 15:50. Dr Bill BARRETT from US EPA presents the progress report of the Methods and Tools Special Interest Group.
- 15:50 – 16:20. Dr Jasper van BATEN, AmsterCHEM, presents and demonstrates the progress made in COBIA Phase III.
- 16:20 – 16:50. Coffee break (virtual).
- 16:50 – 17:10. Dr Leonid KORELSTEIN (Piping System Research & Engineering Co) presents on speed up of thermodynamic libraries usage through dynamic spline interpolation.
- 17:10 – 17:30. Dr Frank ECKERT, from 3DS, presents on the objectives 3DS wants to meet with CAPE-OPEN.
- 17:30 – 18:00. Dylan WEBER, PhD student at Georgia Tech, presents on his experience with the MATLAB CAPE-OPEN Unit Operation.
- 18:00 – 18:30. Dr Roda BOUNACEUR, from Laboratoire Réactions & Génie des Procédés, presents on a new CAPE-OPEN Unit Operation.
Approximately 40 people attended each of the presentations.