Improve integration, and expand utilization of Computer-Aided Process Engineering (CAPE) applications within the enterprise through identification and resolution of existing cross-cutting issues with the CAPE-OPEN platform, develop mechanisms for use of CAPE within other application domains, and incorporate advances in information technology into the CAPE-OPEN platform.
- Resolve issues with the common interface specifications.
- Develop and maintain standards and protocols for CAPE-OPEN implementations.
- Incorporate advances in information technology into the CAPE-OPEN protocols.
- Identify novel uses of CAPE and provide standards for utilizing CAPE within these applications.
William BARRETT (US Environmental Protection Agency) is the leader of the Methods & Tools Special Interest Group since October 2009 when this Special Interest Group was re-commissioned through a decision taken by CO-LaN Management Board.
When created back in 2006 with an initial charter focusing on Microsoft .NET, the Methods & Tools SIG was led by Bertrand BRAUNSCHWEIG (IFP) and Bill was already a member of it, especially with his thorough knowledge of .NET being put to use. Then, when Bertrand ended his activities for IFP in CO-LaN, Pascal ROUX (IFP) took the helm in June 2007 till March 2008.
Deliverables for 2014 – 2022
- CAPE-OPEN Object Model (COBIA):
- Develop design criteria for the CAPE-OPEN Object Model (delivered).
- Provide a roadmap for development of the CAPE-OPEN Object Model (delivered).
- Develop a prototype implementation of the CAPE-OPEN Object Model for one computational platform so that benefits may be seen and interoperability along with COM demonstrated (delivered).
- Deliver and test a beta version of the implementation of the CAPE-OPEN Object Model for one computational platform (October 2018 delivered).
- Deliver final implementation of the CAPE-OPEN Object Model for one computational platform (December 2019 targeted).
- Flowsheet monitoring:
- Complete adoption of the Flowsheet Monitoring Specification (July 2019 delivered)
- Common Interfaces and Integrated Guidelines:
- Continue the review of the common interface specification documents to identify issues exposed through implementation.
- Continue the review of Integrated Guidelines to identify issues exposed through implementation.
- Include in the updated integrated guidelines document all interim guidance that has been developed to date and provide guidelines for resolving other outstanding issues related to the CAPE-OPEN standards.
- Update the integrated guidelines document to specify an Object Model that will allow CAPE-OPEN to be implemented and utilized across multiple platforms including Microsoft Windows, Unix/Linux based systems, and computational clusters
- Update common interface specifications to reflect the CAPE-OPEN Object Model.
- October 2020: COBIA Phase II
- July 2019: Flowsheet Monitoring Interface Specification
- October 2018: prototype of COBIA Phase II for training and trial purposes
- October 2016: COBIA-based applications demonstrating interoperability with COM-based applications
- July 2016: Errata & Clarifications for Persistence Common Interface Specification
- December 2014: Errata & Clarifications for Identification Common Interface Specification
- February 2016: Errata & Clarifications for Parameter Common Interface Specification
- March 2014: Errata & Clarifications for Simulation Context Interface Specification
- March 2014: Errata & Clarifications for Collection Common Interface Specification
The Methods & Tools SIG meets three times per month: focus is now primarely on revision the common interface specifications in order to adapt them to the CAPE-OPEN Binary Interop Architecture (COBIA) middleware.
A report on the Methods & Tools SIG activities is provided at the CAPE-OPEN Annual Meetings:
- Report presented in 2020 at the CAPE-OPEN 2020 Annual Meeting.
- Report presented in 2019 at the CAPE-OPEN 2019 Annual Meeting.
- Report presented in 2018 at the CAPE-OPEN 2018 Annual Meeting.
- Report presented in 2017 at the CAPE-OPEN 2017 Annual Meeting.
- Report presented in 2016 at the CAPE-OPEN 2016 Annual Meeting.
- Report presented in 2015 at the CAPE-OPEN 2015 Annual Meeting.
- Report presented in 2014 at the CAPE-OPEN 2014 Annual Meeting.
- Report presented in 2007.