A CAPE-OPEN Day took place on June 19th, 2002 at the ICI Wilton Centre in Teeside, UK with Tom Malik as local organizer. Wilton Centre is situated next to the old ICI Wilton chemical complex in Teesside, northeast England. Agenda of the meeting:
- 10:15 Arrival/ Registration at Wilton Centre. 10:30 Welcome/ Introduction – Dr. Tahir (Tom). I. Malik (ICI U.K. – Group Technologist).
- 10:35 Summary of achievements and benefits of CAPE-OPEN – Dr. Bertrand Braunschweig (IFP France- Expert Director).
- 11:00 Inter-Operability Demonstration – Mr. Pascal Roux. (IFP France).
- 12:00 Buffet lunch and informal discussions. 13:00 Vendor viewpoint – (Daniel Piñol, Hyprotech Spain).
- 13:45 Dechema viewpoint with reference to Physical Property Data – Dr. Ulrich Westhaus and Dr. Richard Sass (Dechema Germany – Information Systems und Databases).
- 14:30 Coffee. 14:45 Academic viewpoint (with reference to ICAS – Integrated Computer Aided System) – Prof. Rafique Gani (DTU Denmark- Co-Director CAPEC).
- 15:30 Chaired Group Discussion on future and exploitation
- 16:00 Close
The meeting was attended by 20-25 delegates from ICI, Huntsman, and other companies, consultants and services providers. It was very good and fruitful.
1. Support, who to call in case of problems etc.
2. Training: who can train users to CO tech/wrapping etc.
3. “what is in it for me?” for the smaller companies who cannot afford to buy the big suites from the big guys?
4. CO-LaN economic model does not seem too convincing to Mike Davies,ICI, who was involved from the beginning of CAPE-OPEN. He thinks that if the vendors do not invest in CO-LaN, it is a bad sign.