RWTH-I5 has been an early partner of the CAPE-OPEN adventure within the CAPE-OPEN, Global CAPE-OPEN as well a the GCO Support projects funded by the European Commission. It is within RWTH-I5 that a CAPE-OPEN COM-CORBA bridge prototype was developed, that a collaborative website was developed to support work within these projects and further on, that research on various strategies related to component-based software architecture, a key aspect of CAPE-OPEN, was conducted with Jörg KÖLLER, Mareike SCHOOP, Alexander KUCKELBERG and Matthias JARKE being among the many people involved. Another important impact to the development of CAPE-OPEN is the conceptual modeling approach that RWTH-I5 advocated and helped put in motion within CAPE-OPEN.
Several publications leave a trace of the contribution RWTH-I5 made to CAPE-OPEN:
- Towards a Standardization Process for Component Based Architectures, J. Köller, M. Jarke, M. Schoop, R. Jardim-Goncalves, H. Cha, A. Steiger-Garcao (eds.), Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Concurrent Engineering (CE 2003), July 2003, Madeira, Portugal, pp 359-367, Balkema Publishers.
- Emerging business models, Jörg Köller, Thomas List, Christoph Quix, Mareike Schoop, Matthias Jarke, P. Edwards, M. Pons, B. Braunschweig/ R. Gani (eds.): Software Architecture and Tools for Computer-Aided Chemical Engineering. Elsevier 2002 (Series on Computer-Aided Chemical Engineering, vol. 11), pp. 557-587. ISBN 0-444-50827.9.
- Methods and tools for software architecture, Jörg Köller, J.-P. Belaud, Matthias Jarke, Alexander Kuckelberg,T. Teague. B. Braunschweig/ R. Gani (eds.): Software Architecture and Tools for Computer-Aided Chemical Engineering. Elsevier 2002 (Series on Computer-Aided Chemical Engineering, vol. 11), pp. 229-266. ISBN 0-444-50827.9.
- CO-LaN: Maintaining the CAPE-OPEN standard through a virtual organization, M. Pons, B. Braunschweig, K. Irons, J. Köller, A. Kuckelberg, P. Roux. Proc. of the 6th World Congress of Chemical Engineering.
- A Three-Phase Model of Electronic Marketplaces for Software Components in Chemical Engineering, M. Schoop, J. Köller, T. List, C. Quix. B. Schmid, K. Stanoevska-Slabeva, V. Tschammer (eds.): Towards the E-Society, Proceedings of the First IFIP Conference on E-Commerce, E-Government, E-Business. Zurich, Switzerland, October 2001, pp 507-522, Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- The CAPE-OPEN Laboratories Network: Standards for Interoperable Process Engineering Software Components, J. Köller, B. Braunschweig, K. Irons, Matthias Jarke,M. Pons. E-Work and E-Commerce, IOS Press, ISBN 1-58603-205-4, 2001, pp 1218-1224.
- A Virtual Organisation for Managing CAPE-OPEN (CO) Standards, J. Köller, B. Braunschweig, K. Irons, Alexander Kuckelberg, M. Pons, P. Roux. Proc. of the 5th Italian Conference on Chemical and Process Engineering, AIDIC Conference Series Vol. 5, 2001.
- CAPE-OPEN: Experiences from a Standardization Effort in Chemical Industries, M. Jarke, J. Köller, W. Marquardt, L. von Wedel, B. Braunschweig, Jakobs, K.; Williams, R. (eds): Standardisation and Innovation in Information Technology. Proc. 1st Int. Conf. on Standardisation and Innovation in Information Technology, SIIT ’99, Aachen, IEEE, ISBN 0-7803-9935-8, 1999.
While regularly keeping in touch with CO-LaN activities, RWTH-I5 has not conducted CAPE-OPEN related research for at least ten years. Professor JARKE is also about to retire so it felt like a good time to end RWTH-I5 membership in CO-LaN while wishing CO-LaN the best for its future activities.
Many thanks to RWTH-I5 for their contribution to CAPE-OPEN.