Affiliations: AmsterCHEM¹ and CO-LaN²
Reference: Chem. Ing. Tech. 2014, 86, No. 7, 1052-1064
Chemical process modelling and simulation are widely used in process industries to progress in the understanding and in the improvement of many processes. Due to the complexity and variety of these processes, several pieces of software are often needed to model a given process, hence requiring interoperability between software. CAPE‐OPEN is an industry standard for interoperability between process simulation software. Compared to proprietary interfaces of software applications, CAPE‐OPEN allows for less overhead on programming and maintenance, fast access to market and a common basis for collaboration in joint projects. CAPE‐OPEN is the industry standard for interoperability between unit operations or thermodynamic models and process simulation software. The many advantages of CAPE‐OPEN interfaces over proprietary interfaces are discussed in detail. Examples of industrial usage are given that demonstrate technical applicability and business relevance of CAPE‐OPEN.
CAPE-OPEN related papers cited in text:
- M. Jarke, J. Köller, B. Braunschweig, W. Marquardt, L. von Wedel (1999), CAPE-OPEN: Experiences from a Standardization Effort in Chemical Industries, in Jakobs, K.; Williams, R. (eds): Standardisation and Innovation in Information Technology. Proceedings 1st Int. Conf. on Standardisation and Innovation in Information Technology, (SIIT ’99), September 1999 Aachen, IEEE, ISBN 0-7803-9935-8.
- W. D. Smith (1999), in Impact of Advances in Computing and Communication Technologies on Chemical Science and Technology: Report of a Workshop, National Academy Press, Washington, D.C. , pp. 62 – 73.
- B. L. Braunschweig, C. C. Pantelides, H. I. Britt, S. Sama (2000), Process modeling: The promise of open software architectures, Chem. Eng. Prog. 2000, 96 (September issue), pp. 65 – 76.
- J. P. Belaud, M. Pons (2002), Open Software Architecture For Process Simulation: The Current Status of the CAPE-OPEN Standard, in 12th Eur. Symp. on Computer Aided Process Engineering (Eds: J. Grievink, J. van Schijndel), Computer Aided Chemical Engineering, Vol. 10, Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp. 847 – 852.
- J. P. Belaud, P. Roux, X. Joulia, M. Pons (2003), in AIDIC Conference Series (Ed: S. Pierucci), Vol. 6, Reed Business Information, Milan, pp. 35 – 44.
[M. Pons (2003), Industrial Implementations of the CAPE-OPEN standard, in AIDIC Conference Series (Ed. S. Pierucci), Vol. 6, Reed Business Information, Milan, pp. 253 – 262.
- P. S. Banks, K. A. Irons, M. R. Woodman (2005), Oil Gas Sci. Technol., 60 (4), pp. 607 – 616.
- M. Pons (2005), Eur. Symp. on Computer Aided Process Engineering-15 (Eds: L. Puigjaner, A. Espuña), in Computer Aided Chemical Engineering Series, Vol. 20, Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp. 283 –288.
- M. Pons (2007), in Chemical Engineering Transactions (Ed: S. Pierucci), Vol. 11, AIDIC Servizi, Milan, pp. 223 – 228.