Honeywell Process Solutions was awarded funding within the Consultancy Services scheme. Outcome of this action was reported by Martin ROSS, UniSim Product Manager, at the CAPE-OPEN 2014 Annual Meeting, held on September 10-11, 2014 in Mörfelden, Germany.
UniSim CAPE-OPEN Unit-Operation Socket was based on Microsoft Visual Basic 6 (VB6). Consequently it has several language related weaknesses:
- The code structure is much more difficult to understand than C++, maintenance and improvement are very difficult.
- The VB6 program in general is more computational expensive than a well structured C++ program.
The small print:
- Socket uses current registered UniSim type library, in our case, it will use the last launched UniSim Design, easy to make mistakes.
- Socket not compatible with earlier UniSim Design versions
- Identification of reasons for calculation failure not easy to determine.